Hi, got my echo dot 3rd gen yesterday (certified Amazon refurbished) and set it all up, and it's working fine. The app on my phone connects and I can change setting ect, except when I try and change the wake word it says "Wake word was not updated... Please check your network connection and try again"
Network is fine, they are both on the same wifi with strong signal and good connection. I've updated the dot to the latest software version.
I'm having the same problem. I tried turning off the wifi as suggested above, but that didn't work. I tried changing the wake word when I was at work - a couple of miles away, but that didn't work. I tried a factory reset of my Echo Dot, and that didn't work either. I had no problem changing my Echo Show when I got it a few months ago. I haven't tried to change the wake word for my Echo Show, just in case that gets stuck on Alexa too.
I'm having this issue with my newest echo dot I just got last week. My other two work fine, I can change the wake word from the app no problem. All three are 3rd Gen. As a workaround you can go to the dotb on which you want to change wake word, and say CHANGE WAKE WORD after you wake her with the current wake word.
Same issue here. New gen 3. Won’t change wake word. I have factory settings the thing, switch from 2.4g to 5g network. Been on the same network as the thing, been in a different one. Nothing. It won’t even let me update it via the command. Just keeps referring me to the app. What’s the deal here folks.
The fix is very simple. Just tell the device to change its wake-up word. For example, if the current wake-up word is Alexa, say"Alexa change my wake up word".. the device will list the available names and you just tell it which name you want. It took about 5 seconds for my device to change its name. Hope this helps.
This is STILL an ongoing issue i would venture, i have tried pretty much all suggestions with no avail. that includes.
voice interaction.( which directs me to the help system within the Alexa app)
reset.( problem persists)
alternate network.( app asks me to check connectivity).
I am of the view that there is an intermittent error in either the firmware or software ( or possibly both, all other personalization i made went without a hitch, its just the wake word issue that is problematic and it looks like Amazon haven't got round to addressing the issue( assuming they are aware of it of course)
I opened up our new Echo Dot, it was the second one in our household so I wanted to have a different awake word. I had the same problem others had with not being able to change the awake word on the new device. As someone suggested, I uninstalled the Alexa App (Android) and then reinstalled. I logged back in, the awake word was showing on the new device and I was able to change it without issue. Should I have had to uninstall the app? No, it should have worked seamlessly but it didn't and uninstalling and reinstalling the app did fix the issue for me.
Just set up a new Echo Studio....actually set itself up. Wanted to change the “wake” word. Would not work in the app, so just used a command...Alexa change the wake word....she gave me the options. I picked the one I wanted and that’s all it took. Easy!
That isn't a fix, it's how it is supposed to work. People are having problems because it isn't working as it should. Not all devices allow it to be changed by voice either. The fix that worked for me was uninstalling the app and reinstalling it.
I did all the things you have described. What worked for me was uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. If you look at your app, under 'Wake word' it may be blank. When you reinstall the app, it should say Alexa under 'Wake word' - that was my first sign that something had changed. Tapped on that, changed to Echo, and it was sorted.
I think there is still something wrong. I reinstalled the app. Twice for two echos. They were OK, then reverted back to Alexa. I suspect Bezos has to pay Gene Roddenberry every time someone uses the word Computer.
If you have more than one echo device. What worked fine is to change one of my many existing devices that works properly for wake word change. Then went back to the device that wouldn’t change prior and it worked fine and changed name in no time without issue. Weird...