there are several situations in which you might not see it as the message is totally dependent on ASINs (Amazon tracking number) and not the title:
1. if you purchased one of the 30+ versions of A Tale of Two Cities that is not the exact one you purchased, it won't have the banner.
2. if the publisher has changed for a specific book, you won't see the message. A prime example of this is "The Martian" as it was originally self-published (ASIN #1) then the rights were purchased by a major publisher and the original listing removed and a new one created (Different ASIN). I don't see a message on the new listing.
3. if You purchased The Dresden Files Collection 1-6 (The Dresden Files Box-Set Book 1) it's not going to show a banner on Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) (ASINs are different)
4. if you purchased a paper copy, it's not going to show a message for the Kindle version
5. and the book might have different names and ASIN depending on who the publisher is
6. and if you purchased/downloaded it from a source other than Amazon, you won't see a message (non-Amazon sources don't have ASIN)
And I always go and check my Content and Devices page to see if I already have a copy of the item but that still doesn't prevent errors I made like this one
The Night Women (previously published as Farewell to Freedom) (Louise Rick series) and Farewell to Freedom: A Novel