New (UK) Amazon Smart Plug - connects to home WiFi and Alexa reports that it is connected ... however, all attempts to control it report an error that it is not responsive.
From my router logs I can see that the Amazon Smart Plug is requesting a DHCP address approximately every 30 seconds.
The router is reply with one - but I guess that the plug did not like the response.
Alexa app shows that the plug has firmware version 1000000
Alexa software update page shows that latest is 1000012
So ... where can I find what is in the changes?
Temporarily connected the plug to a different WiFi access point and different DHCP server ... and now it works (I can control it from Alexa app).
So - hopefully it will update its firmware and it will then work against the original system (the Echo Dot has no problem with the original WiFi/DHCP).
The software update page says that you can ask Alexa to "check for software updates" but the reply is that it cannot do that.
It does not help but mine is 1000012
I don't know if any of the hints in this link will help but I could not find anyway to update Set up smart plug
If I have helped you with an answer please click "Was this answer helpful" If not post and have a moan and I will try again if I can.
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.
If you need to contact Amazon use this link CONTACT AMAZON
The plug updated itself to software version 1000012 ... but when I switched it back to the original wifi/hdcp server it still failed - with symptom that it reconnects to network every 30-ish seconds.
More digging and I found the cause ... the network it was connected to has an Ad Blocker that prevents access (returns DNS error) to some domain names.
I temporarily suspended that blocker and the plug works.
Re-enabling the ad blocker did not stop the plug working - presumably because it has now resolved the name to IP address and has made a long-lasting connection.
I expect it would fail again if I rebooted the plug.
So - next step is to work out what domain(s) it was trying to connect to and, probably, whitelist it.
Turns out it was a fault in the ad blocker. It was incorrectly parsing one of the site lists with the result that it blocked anything ending with s3.amazonaws.com ! Now resolved.