on the far right is sort order
All | Downloaded ___ All items ___ Sort Method (Recent, Title, Author, Collections)
I've already tried to contact amazon, but because I bought it at the German Amazon and it's registered in the Netherlands they wouldn't help me on the uk site. At the moment my new kindle is the default kindle again and it did work, I did receive a netgalley book and books I ordered on the website. So I don't know if I still need to contact amazon. They want to call me but as it's the German website and I don't speak German I'm a little hesitant to do this.
new Kindles have to index books downloaded to them, and if you downloaded all your books, there's a distinct possibility that you have a book stuck indexing. I had an update on one of my devices that required a complete re-index of the 200 books downloaded on it and my battery went from 100% down to 15% in less than 8 hours.
check for stuck books by going to the Home page and searching for a nonsense word like akgbwk and then when it comes up and says no results shown, if you don't see a Text In Books (0), tap on the search everywhere at the bottom of the window
go to your Content and Devices page and see if it's available to read through the Cloud Reader by clicking on the Actions button [...] in front of the title and seeing if Read Now is an option.
and even on amazon.com it's only available to residents of the US
us guys from Amazon are 99% customers, so no we can't do anything and the other 1% work for Amazon, but are Forum Moderators and Social media types so they can't do anything either. Try emailing Amazon at firstname.lastname@example.org
and if your Kindle is a touch screen, you can tap anywhere except for the upper half inch and left half inch of the screen to change pages
Thanks for you help Bob.
Apologies for going ahead and moaning again...haha.
So I can pay £10 fee and get advertising removed? Thats an expensive advert right? Imagine If it cost £1 and was easy to do, then everyone would probably choose to have that advert removed right. Thats loads of money waiting to be made advertisers...
Good trick Amazon, not clear where to do this exactly though? One up for the tricksters of advertising once again :D
On the bright side the banner ad does change every once and a while. 'SHOP NOW'
I just want to read books, man, not adverts.
you might want to ask Customer Service this is not it - this forum is for customers to help other customers with their Amazon devices and there are no other forums to ask in
Help (link on bottom of page)
Need more help?
if you bought an actual kindle 3 (Kindle Keyboard) it likely needs a critical update or two before you can connect and register it:
another possibility is that it was reported stolen/lost and is thus "bricked"
did you try clicking on the Help link that is on the top and/or bottom of every Amazon webpage (including this one)?
then browsing through the options and clicking on Need more Help?
then Contact Us?
you can log in with the same account on any Amazon website with the exception of amazon.jp and amazon.cn. What you probably want to do, before Amazon wises up to you not physically living in the UK, is to migrate your account (digital items only) to amazon.com or amazon.com.au via the Country Settings under the Settings tab on your Content and Devices page on the amazon.co.uk website. Eventually Amazon will demand you prove that you live in the UK and you might lose access to your books if you can't do so.